Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Dinosaurs and Lovecraftian Monsters

Here is an inked drawing I did of some of my favourite 'pulp' iconography - Dinosaurs and ancient Lovecraftian Monsters. I was very much inspired by the illustration work of W. Francis Phillipps. These illustrations where far from anatomically accurate but had a great sense of drama, atmosphere and strangeness. Some of the images were terrifying to look at.
I was also looking the work of James Harren and Ryan Ottley, two excellent contemporary comic book artists. I love one of the images by Ottley from their blog 'The Bog', which depicts a cross section of a monster sea scene. I love cross section illustrations, were the viewer is shown more of the story than the victim!! I also love the sense of scale.
I plan on doing a colour pass on this image, exploring some lovecraftian colour palettes that will hopefully enhance the strangeness of the subject matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment